Saturday, November 30, 2013

RIP TABU LEY ROCHEREAU




A few months have passed since my last update. A lot has been going on in my life, please excuse me for the lack of updates. It pains me this morning to say that since my last update yet another legend of Congolese music, Pascal Tabu Ley Rochereau, has passed away. Tabu Ley (November 13, 1940 - November 30, 2013) was one of the most dynamic voices of Congolese rumba merging difference musical styles and beautiful meaningful lyrics as the leader of African Fiesta and later Afrisa International. He is also responsible for bringing grand diva Mbilia Bel (among others) to the forefront in a genre dominated by men. He often wrote songs for her that were very pro-Woman's rights leaving a strong impression on all who listened. He was a pioneer of mixing sounds and a great performer to boot. He will most certainly be missed. We leave you with one of his most famous compositions which is most fitting for the occasion "Mokolo Nakokufa" (The Day That I Die). RIP Seignuer Rochereau






No comments: